Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Feline Interferon

When I first heard the diagnosis of FIP, my instinct to find out as much information as possible kicked into high gear.
Not at all dissimilar to what I did when my son was first diagnosed with anaplastic large cell lymphoma in 2000.

I also searched out support groups online, because I know that sometimes resources come from unexpected sources.
I found several such groups, but one in particular seemed to be imparting knowledge that from the outset appeared helpful. This was where I had first heard of feline interferon.

At first I procured some from a member of the group, then importing it as I felt it could be the answer to the problem.
It was not. thousands of dollars later and hours of research, I discovered the results of some studies on feline interferon and FIP.
Here is the abstract of one such published paper.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18196725?ordinalpos=10&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

The group still recommends the interferon usage as well as one of the "leading experts" in FIP.
I disagree for two important reasons.
1. it fosters hope
2. it is spending money on something that doesn't work on this disease.

However, there is some evidence that feline interferon is effective in cats with FELV, and that's good news.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15320583?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Now, if virbac would just produce it in this country and make getting it easier to help cats who need it, because many many cats are still immediately euthanized upon diagnosis of FELV.

1 comment:

  1. I have copied out the article on FeLV and interferon, I plan on taking it to my vet and seeing what she says. It has been a year and a half since I found out we have FeLV, so far the only one who seems sick is Little Girl, she has a cough I can't get rid of. But she's eating good and playing so she's not acting sick. They are such great pretenders though you never know. Money is kind of tight for us right now also due to purchasing the new house. But if needed I have a lot of stuff I could sell on ebay. They are worth every penny I spend on them and I think that I spend more on them than I do myself!

    ReplyDelete