Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Another death on the horizon


Some day I'd like to post on here that none of my cats have died. Say in 6 months. I'd be happy for 6 months.
3 years ago, I'd say that I'd be devastated if I lost 1 cat every 6 months. But I'm older, sadder and wiser now. I have the evil FIP to thank for that.

Dora will be the next to go. It will be horrible. She has all the typical signs I have come to assess to dry FIP. chronic fever, wasting of body weight and then muscle. failure to grow. rough coat, inflamed gums, she had a mild seizure yesterday. I considered euthanasia then, but she bounced back and it's hard to take the light out of their eyes while they still have fight left in them, but I don't kid myself. She's incontinant tonight. All the dry FIP cases were at the end. It seems to be a symptom as well.

Dora came to me at 12 days of age with her momma and her 3 brothers. Dora was first to do everything which is why my daughter named her Dora the explorer. She is the tiniest sweetest little cat you could ever meet. With the greatest personality.

My cats deserve better than this. All cats deserve better than this terrible disease.

I will figure out something to make this better. I don't know how yet, and I don't know when it will be, but I will figure out a way to curb this disease and treat it better than the few options barely offered now.

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet looking little kittie. I hate to hear she is sick and dying. It's just not right! I wish with all my heart that I had an answer for you for them. I hope you do find something that will if not cure this disease then at least control and treat it so they can live a full and healthy life. It amazes me that they do all this experimentation on animals for cures for humans but don't really seem to do much for cures for animals. No animal deserves to suffer a terrible disease like this. If anyone can find help for them I have faith in you doing it. You have the needed desire and the ability. If I come across anything that I think may help I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete