Saturday, April 18, 2009

testing for FIP


One of the most frustrating things I personally have encountered is the testing or shall we say there for lack of accurate FIP testing.
PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) testing is the best and brightest there is to offer at this time, and yet it is still not completely reliable in it's results. Not because of how the test is done, but more as in how the virus plays with science.
This page from Cornell University diagnostic testing services explains the test's limitations very well.
http://www.diaglab.vet.cornell.edu/test/factsheets/FSFelCoronaviursRT-PCR.pdf
The impracticality of isolation and testing in a multicat household in this manner is frustrating at best.
I do isolate the cats I know to be sick, but those who don't look sick, just might be typhoid mary's?, It's hard to accept that I do the best I can, and not feel like it's like I'm Sisyphus.

For Ickis (pictured) and Zilla and Dora and all the other loving lives lost to this disease, I will never give up looking for answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment